Tokyo, no city for old men?

Japan’s ageing population is well documented, with now almost a quarter of the population aged 65 or over. An ongoing shift in the make up of society that will have a huge impact on the country’s future, and appearance. Yet despite this, Tokyo is arguably still no city for old men.

Tokyo old man

Comments

1. Alex_c says

Been to Tokyo 3 times now and loved it. Can’t wait to get back there. But I understand how he feels. I wouldn’t wanna get old there. The crowds… noise…. speed of everything. No way….

Some of the more traditional parts of Tokyo are more suited to older citizens. In fact some areas seem almost exclusively populated by them. But yeah, life in the city’s shopping and entertainment districts really can’t be much fun.

With Tokyo being expensive and the countryside so empty, it would make sense for retired people to buy a nice, wooden house in a tiny village and spend their time fishing and growing vegetables :-)

You’d think so, wouldn’t you? I have read about a good few doing just that. Even younger people too. But I guess if you’ve lived all your life in the city, uprooting to the country could be even more stressful than living in an increasingly busy metropolis.

3. der says

Off topic, but are you aware that your images don’t seem to be included in the RSS feed anymore (on Google Reader and for this particular reader at least)? Just wanted to give you a heads up, don’t know if that was a conscious decision.

Oh, had no idea about that. Thanks a lot for the heads up.

Just checked and I think I’ve solved the problem. Let me know please if you still can’t see any images.

Thanks again!