A few favourite photographs from 2012

With 2012 coming to a close, it’s time once again to post a few of my favourite photographs from the previous 12 months. A year that saw me, with camera in hand, criss-cross the capital on countless occasions; each and every time hoping to preserve a special moment or emotion. A quest that, it goes without saying, generally failed, but it was always fun trying — always will be too.

But whether in some way successful, or simply special to me, these are my favourites. They aren’t in any special order, just divided into monochrome and colour, with each set laid out chronologically. Also, clicking on a photo will take you to the original post.

And together they wrap up Tokyo Times for 2012. So, until January, all the very best for 2013!

Mount Fuji in black and white

Japanese Shogi players

Japanese school haikyo

Japanese playground

Audrey Hepburn in Japan

lonely Japanese beach

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Comments

Cheers, Don. A good few were picked for the memories they provoked or the place they were taken, so it’s good to know their appeal isn’t just restricted to me.

I really enjoyed this selection of your 2012 works, Lee. In addition to the high standard of your b&w imagery, I do admire the way in which you choose to present certain images in color (as opposed to b&w) – the color always does serve a purpose. Best wishes for the New Year, and happy shooting!

Thank you very much, Norbert. From somebody with your skills, that means a lot.

My passion is increasingly black & white, but I agree, some images really do warrant colour. So it’s good to hear that I have been making some decent decisions in that regard.

I love the izakaya photo and how the one girl at the table is looking directly at the camera, while the dude is leaning back laughing. It really has a story embedded in it.

And the green on the washing machine.

And, of course, the penis head.

Cheers!

The izakaya photo in particular means something to me as it’s a place that doesn’t exist anymore. But it’s nice to have a decent photo as a memory. A photo, as you mentioned, with more than one story too.

3. Magnus369 says

picture #7- they look impossibly huge. I realize it’s not the intention in the least, but it could be used in any high school production of “Attack of the 50ft whatever”.
    picture #11- “Wait… there’s a what on my head?” again, I know this isn’t what they’re saying, but still… the expressions are great.

Thanks for another year of showing me a place I want to visit, and another year’s worth of reasons to do so!

Thanks a lot. It’s a place I never tire of exploring, and if my photographs make others want to do likewise, then that makes it even more worthwhile.

4. robashito says

Amazing. You really capture a moment, a small second of one’s soul …..just living their daily life. I have so much respect for what you do. Thank you.

Awesome pictures Lee. Looking forward to more in 2013 :)

And thanks for inspiring me to book a flight back to Tokyo for March -> April :)

Thank you very much!

That’s great to hear. Perfect time of year to visit too. You should be in for a great trip.