A few favourite photographs from 2013

With 2013 rapidly running out, it’s time once again to post some of my favourite photographs from the past 12 months. Like any other year it has had its ups and downs, but one constant joy has been photography — both the act itself and the exploration/discovery that goes along with it. A passion that in many ways has found its perfect companion in the land of contrasts that is Tokyo and the surrounding areas; at least some elements of which I’ve hopefully captured in the selection below.

They aren’t in any particular order, just separated into colour and monochrome. Plus clicking on any image will take you to the original post.

A set that neatly wraps up Tokyo Times for 2013. So, until the turn of the new year, all the very best for 2014!

abandoned Japanese cable car

Tokyo strip club

Japanese Buddhist monk in Tokyo

‘old

‘lonely

Tokyo old man

abandoned Japanese school

Comments

1. Willy says

A few of my favorites too… And thanks for being an entertaining, artistic and thought provoking link to my second country, which I am unfortunately not in enough these days!
    Have a great 2014!
    Cheers!

Thanks, Willy!

Ever so kind of you to say so. Very happy to hear that my photographs achieve some of that. Incredibly encouraging.

2. Rich says

Thank you for all of them.

For me “A brief but beautiful cherry blossom moment” is by far the best of all.

Have a great 2014!

3. Matt says

I have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Lee.

Looking forward to plenty more in 2014.

Matt

4. June says

Thank you for sharing these wonderful ‘slice of life’ moments. As someone new to photography, I always look to see what I can learn from your photos.
    You should think about putting together a book!
    All best wishes for 2014.

5. LAObserver says

Thanks for a full year of cool photos Lee. I always especially like the captured expressions on everyone at the moment you press the shutter release button.

I would make a shameless request for more photos of Nihonjin beauties wearing boots. . .

6. Jen says

Wonderful. Some lovely images. Already looking forward to 2014! :)

The ‘nighthawks’ is my fave. Great atmosphere.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I was really pleased the way that one came out. I think I caught some of the loneliness I felt when I passed by.

Cheers!

Depends what the city and its surroundings throw up, but one thing is for certain — it’ll be fun trying!

7. Evan says

My day is made better by the anticipation and experience of viewing your photos. Thanks for sharing Lee.

Have a great new year!