A few favourite photos from 2010

Over the past 12 months I’ve taken more than a few photos, some of which I like as they bring back memories, acting as a visual diary of sorts, and others quite simply because of the moments they capture.

So here, as a bit of an end of year round-up, are a few of my personal favourites, with a click on any picture taking you to the original post. And, as an added bonus, there’s also a bit of music to go with them, made by a friend who was with me when a fair number of the photos were taken.

Listen!

Omotesando in the sun

Japanese painter

Japanese rapeseed

Japanese cherry blossom

Japanese pet pushchair

memory lane/piss alley

Comments

1. Steve says

All amazing shots, but the man painting and the woman in the flowers (directly after) are brilliant, brilliant stand outs. Love your work!

• Lee says

Cheers Steve! Must admit, I was really pleased with the way they came out. Had to wait bloody ages for the woman to move into the shot though!

2. tamh says

What a great way to sum up a prolific year!
    Some of those I can recall having looked at, but some are unknown. I better go back and look at them.
    Nevertheless, congrats on a wonderful year, Merry (late) Christmas and my wishes to a prolific New Year to come!

3. Rio says

Fantastic pictures! I don’t suppose these were all taken with an iPhone? I’d love to know what you’re using. Regardless, in a bit, shinnen-akemashite omedetou!

• Lee says

Cheers Rio! No, I wish. These were taken by my ‘real’ camera. I use a Nikon D300.

You too. I hope 2011 is a good one for you!

4. Tyler says

Here’s to another great year, this is always one of the first sites I check in the morning after getting up to see Lee’s post. Don’t ever quit doing what you do best Lee!

• Lee says

Cheers Tyler, it’s really nice to know that you check in regularly. And going out with my camera is something of an obsession, so there’s no chance of me quitting. Even if I wanted to!

5. Peta says

Great sum up of 2010. I especially like the lady lazing under the sakura tree! It has been 2 months of rain in Seattle and I dream of sunshine….

• Lee says

Thanks Peta. It has been surprisingly mild here, but I’d still happily have those days of spring back. Hope you get to see at least a bit of sun in the new year.

6. Grass Jelly says

Not sure if it was intended, but images 2 & 3 provides a great contrast.
    Looking forward to enjoying more of your work in the new year. =]

• Lee says

Happy to hear it! And yeah, the position of those two photos was very much intended. As soon as I chose them I knew they had to go together.

7. Matt says

All great shots. Its almost impossible to choose a favourite, but i do like the second shot, hips one way, shoulder the other. Looking forward to my trip to Japan. Hope i can get a shot or two half as good. Any must see sights in March time of year?

• Lee says

Thanks Matt. If you are here towards the end of March, you may get a bit of cherry blossom viewing in. And if the blossoms are out, there are plenty of places/events to go to.

8. Francesco says

Great shots. Your blog is set as my homepage, and each morning it’s the first thing I read before I start my day. Keep up the good work, I enjoy it very much.

9. Fulco says

the first pic adds another dimension to the expression “stealing a kiss”.
    I only recently stumbled across your blog but I already love your work – it’s so full of joie de vivre (strangely enough, even the haikyo pics are). Keep it up; you have a new fan for 2011.

• Lee says

Yes, I was really lucky to get that first photo. Definitely a case of the right place at the right time. And thanks a lot for the kind words, it’s genuinely nice to know that other people get some pleasure out of something I also enjoy.

10. Stephanie says

are you staying in Japan for good? those were some awesome shots, and i’m actually glad i can recognise most of them from your regular posts! i’m really looking forward to more from you next year. thanks for sharing them with us! the music’s really apt too. =)

• Lee says

Thanks a lot Stephanie, and I’m glad you recognized a few of them.

As for staying here, for good is along time (or at least I hope it is), but having made a life for myself here over the last decade or so, it’s a distinct possibility.

11. mark says

I aways look forward to checking your site- like a min-vacation for me – wonderful shots and great music (perhaps a download someday? :)

So many great photos – keep up the good work in 2011.

Best wishes.