A penny farthing rider in Tokyo

For a country renowned for its conformity, Japan throws up a wonderful array of contradictions, meaning one can never be completely sure of what’s round the next corner.

Japanese penny farthing rider

Surprises that, despite Tokyo’s many faults, make it a continually fascinating city to live in.

Japanese penny farthing rider

And it’s even better when you get to know one or two causes of said surprises — especially so when they turn out to be a person whose character is as decent as their bicycle is large.

Japanese penny farthing rider

Comments

1. Josee says

How does he get off the bicycle? And god forbid if he loses his balance and falls off his bicycle…..I think I will lose a limb if I fall off that machine…

• Lee says

With great difficulty I think.

Nah, he’s obviously got used to it by now, but it still doesn’t look easy.

2. Taki says

Is that the Tama river? It looks close to my in-laws :) Here in Canada, I think only seen a penny farthing maybe ~4 times…

• Lee says

Yes, it’s the Tama River. The photo was taken south of Kunitachi I think.

This is the only penny farthing I’ve seen in Tokyo. Or anywhere for that matter.

I like the 2nd picture the most!! The expression of the smaller biker is amusing!!
    And such a great contrast between both of them.

I cannot imagine if I am going to ride this! It’s cool, but too dangerous for my heart to take it!
    I also wonder how is he going to get off the bike?

• Lee says

Yeah, I like the expression on the other cyclist too. Pretty much my section the first time I saw him too.

Me too. Really don’t think I’d fancy having a go. Plus getting off looked very difficult, which puts me off having a go even more…

4. Hans ter Horst says

A land of contradictions, you got that right! The moment you think you have figured Japan out, they throw a penny farthing, a punk rocker or a salaryman with a smile at you :-)

• Lee says

It certainly is. It’s the only proper one I’ve seen outside a museum. And definitely the only one I’ve seen being used.