Mount Fuji sunset from Tokyo. A sign of the times?

Autumn in Tokyo may well mean comfortable temperatures and colourful foliage, but it is also the time when Mount Fuji once again makes a welcome reappearance. A sight that simply never ceases to amaze — no matter how far away it might be.

Mount Fuji sunset from Tokyo

Coincidentally, however, this photograph was taken on the day that Prime Minister Noda dissolved parliament — setting in motion another political merry-go-round involving privileged men and equally tired and old policies. A thoroughly dismal state of affairs that is even worse on this occasion as it involves the current and rather incompetent incumbent, along with the favourite and ultra-conservative second stint seeker, Shinzo Abe. Plus, if that wasn’t dispiriting enough, Tokyo’s former governor and unrepentant racist, Shintaro Ishihara, is also waiting in the wings with his new political party. This complete dearth of talented or even slightly forward thinking candidates making a mockery of sorts out of democracy.

So set against this depressing backdrop, the sight appeared all the more poignant; a sign of both the season, and, short of huge political upheaval, Japan’s seemingly irreversible drift into its own sunset.

Comments

1. Matt says

Beautiful photo. I always consider myself lucky if i get a glimpse of that shy peak on a visit.

Thanks! Same here to be honest, and that’s despite seeing it countless times. It’s a sight that never ceases to amaze.

Cheers, Willy. It is. No sign of it getting even slightly better either. Hard to imagine what it would take to change things too…

Thanks, Winnie. Yes, they do have that look, don’t they? Military helicopters I think, which adds another dimension to it.

Great shot, and indeed soon dark clouds will be covering Fuji-san. The economical crisis that has now been going on for decades will only deepen under the amazingly under-performing Japanese politicians that will take place; DPJ and LDP turned out to be virtually the same: no policies and riddled with scandals. Japanese friends tell me that the best thing for Japan would be the kyousantou :-)

Cheers!

Yes, there really doesn’t seem to be even the slightest hint of things changing for the better. And I totally agree. Although I never expected the DPJ to be a completely different beast to the LDP, after such a long time playing second fiddle, I really hoped for at least a slight shift in direction, or at the very least an attempt at one. But no, things have just continued as usual.

As for the Communists, there’s more chance of me getting a vote than them winning. Well, no, that’s just silly talk, but their chances probably aren’t much better.

3. AV says

Japan looks impossible in the news: US far beyond a largely inconsequential ‘fiscal cliff’, with Finland’s public sector and Ukraine’s nationalist revival. And a cone-shaped mountain to boot … I take it as a reminder that Japan must have its own extremes far removed from Europe’s imploded ideological chimeras of national socialism and proletarian dictatorship …

4. Andy says

Once again a photo of utter beauty!

Don’t be too depressed about the state of politics though – it’s even worse here in Europe:
    All we have here are leftists who desperately want more taxes, more control accumulated in
    Brussels, more milking of the ‘cows’ (i.e.: those who work) contributing to their bloated bureaucracy.

I have only little knowledge about what is going on in the US of A, but I am perfectly sure that
    Japan will somehow carry on, whereas Europe will completely go down the drain in the next 10 years.

Thank you!

I wish I could share your optimism (in regards Japan anyway), but yeah, there’s no point getting depressed about it. Without a vote the best I can do is hope, and that’s what I’ll continue to do – if a little forlornly.

5. Towerhill says

During the years I was posted in Tokyo, we rented a tiny house in Gotemba for weekends and holidays. I would spend hours in an armchair facing Fuji-san, just staring at it.