One of Tokyo’s many tiny ramen joints

Whatever the weather, and whatever the season, ramen is a firm Japanese favourite. A love affair that means one is never far away from a place specialising in the stuff. Some are fancy. Some are big. But more often than not they are tiny, tumbledown places like this. And invariably they are all the better for it.

dirty Tokyo ramen shop

Comments

1. Charlie Hayward says

I always felt that the deliciousness of ramen, the magic distilled into those bowls of delicious broth, noodle, and accoutrements, was directly proportionate to how much of a hole in the wall the restaurant was. The more I was struggling not to smash my elbows into the salary men or fellow students next to me, the better the edible treasure seemed to be.

Great picture as always. Love how you capture the lifeblood of the country.

• Lee says

Thank you very much.

Yeah, so many tiny places tend to be so good. For such a common dish, it is amazing how many queues it’s possible to see at lunch time. Lots of choice, but the best ones are worth the wait.

2. Willy says

Looks like my kind of joint. I also see that some of your haikyo pics are in the huff post. Congratulations!

3. Hans ter Horst says

Great shot, it really summarizes the Ramen shop experience.
    I cannot do the slurping but nevertheless I can finish a bowl as quickly as any Japanese :-)

• Lee says

Thanks!

Likewise. I have tried, but it goes against everything I was taught as a youngster. Even though everyone else is at it, even if I make the slightest noise I feel terribly rude!

4. Marsha says

I saw your pictures on The Huffington Post and have been looking at your blog over my morning coffee. Your work is wonderful and goes a long way to explain a still mysterious country to the rest of the world. The ruins pictures are amazing, I live with a historic preservantionist and cannot wait to show them the pictures of the house.

5. Bernadette Marchetti says

A ramen bar opened up in my neighborhood. The food is great. It’s a proper restaurant with beautiful decor. The prices are reasonable for a nice restaurant. And they deliver! I was so happy! Being in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, I was really surprised when it opened. We dont have a huge Japanese population. But Pittsburgh has its cosmopolitan side. There are numerous universities in close proximity to each other (University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, and about five others within walking distance of each other) and we have A LOT of international students and residents. The restaurant just opened, but I think it will do very well.

• Lee says

A ramen place in town is always good. With plenty of students nearby it will hopefully do well. Or at least it will if it’s decent. Get in there and give it a go!