Simple Tokyo street food and drinks

Tokyo’s varied selection of old, basic bars and eateries are well documented on Tokyo Times. But, when the weather gets warmer, those wonderfully no-nonsense characteristics are carried out on to the street. Meaning the same cheap and cheerful food. The same clutter and grime. And perhaps most importantly of all, the same fantastically relaxed atmosphere.

Tokyo street food and drinks

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Comments

1. Coli says

Yum! Looks wonderful. It was a scorcher here in kansai today. 36.3 in my town. So that looks really great right now :-) How hot was it in tokyo today?

No idea to be honest, as I’m in Hokkaido this week. But I’d hazard a guess that Tokyo is absolutely boiling and incredibly humid!

‘Tis, isn’t it?

On this day, no. It was in the middle of a walk, and considering how hot it was, I knew that a sit down would mean I’d walk no further, as one beer would inevitably lead to another, and another…

Yes, a man ready for the summer!

Not sure to be honest. Definitely some sausages there, and I’d assume pieces of pork.

2. Squidpuppy says

Not that it matters much, but I wonder if there’s any health regulation for stands like this: yatai, tachikui, akachochin. Personally not worried about it, just curious. I suspect there’re at least licensing requirements. Ever see any posted papers? I never paid any attention, so I don’t remember.

I’ve often wondered the same thing. Same with little bars and the like. There seems to be little in the way of regulation. Definitely not something they’d be allowed to get away with in my native Britain.

Now and again I have seen old stickers in regards hygiene checks, but in the places I did see them, the checks must have been pretty lenient to say the least!