Zen and the art of Kyoto contemplation

In a welcome sun spot. On a bitterly cold day. Kyoto’s Nanzen-ji provided the perfect place to ponder the year that had almost passed, and make plans for the one quickly approaching.

Kyoto Nanzen-ji Temple

Comments

1. david says

A poor life this if, full of care,
    we have no time to stand and stare. (WH Davies)

Great shot

2. Willy says

Nice.. I presume you went a bit farther away from your usual stomping grounds for new year…

• Lee says

Cheers. Yeah, we were there over Christmas, but came back to Tokyo for New Year. I’d like to visit Kyoto more often. Aside from all the cultural sights, the city has a nice friendly feel to it.

• Willy says

Certainly is a place with a unique atmosphere. We were there in September 2011 at the end of summer and it was just jumping. Loved it.

3. Andy says

Once again a marvellous photo that makes me long for Japan again. (Was too busy with work this
    year for any vacations, but I’ll make sure that 2013 will be different. Hopefully I’ll be able to reach
    Kyoto in time for the Cherry-Blossom-Season.)

Anyway:

Happy New Year of the snake to thee!

• Lee says

Thanks, Andy. And you too. All the very best!

It must be pretty stunning in spring. I guess the only drawback would be the crowds, but there’s no way to avoid them I guess. We were hoping for a light covering of snow. That would have been lovely. It did threaten a few times. And it was certainly cold enough. But it wasn’t to be…

4. Jeffrey says

One of my favo(u)rite temples in Kyoto. Rather than the jarring 21st Century design cheek-by-jowl with a 17th Century structure you have that wonderful brick aqueduct bifurcating the grounds looking much more “organic” adjacent to the historic architecture of the complex.

• Lee says

Yes, that was a very pleasant surprise. Not what I was expecting to see at all.

Oh, and the ‘u’ is very much appreciated!